Facility Matching Funds
The Erie Sports Commission Facility Matching Funds Program was created to provide matching dollars for facility improvements and/or new equipment at locations that can host sporting events and tournaments. Facility improvements facilitated with ESC matching funds should be completed with the intention of attracting new sporting events, or growing existing events that can generate tourism. Awards are granted based on merit as determined by the established criteria and selected by the Erie Sports Commission.
A total of $10,000 is available for the program through December 31, 2021. Fund requests from $500 to $5,000 will be considered, and in rare circumstances, requests that exceed $5,000 will be considered. Approved project applications will receive a dollar-for-dollar match from the Erie Sports Commission.
Applicants must be located within Erie County, Pennsylvania and have facilities available to host tournaments and events that draw out-of-town participants. Facilities must indicate existing tourism-based events or targeted events in the program application.
Note: Preference will be given to applicants who are VisitErie partners in good standing at the time of application.
- Applicants may request an amount between $500 and $5,000 to be considered. In rare circumstances, applicants with requests exceeding $5,000 will be considered.
- Applicants may apply once per cycle.
- Proof of payment for improvements must be provided before the Erie Sports Commission reimburses approved funding.
- A for-profit business that received a grant may be required to treat the grant as income and is responsible for paying any necessary taxes applicable thereto.
- Upon completion of approved projects, the applicant must notify the Erie Sports Commission of the project’s completion with proof of performance (to include a purchase order, photos, etc.). The ESC will also require a site visit upon completion. All projects must be completed within one year of funding approval or grant funds awarded will be revolved to the next cycle.
- Facility improvements made through the ESC Facility Matching Funds Program must be done with the intention of attracting new events that will drive new out-of-town tournaments or grow existing events and visitors to our region. All applications should address tourism.
- Participant contributions must be in cash, not trade.
- Once the grant is awarded and improvements are complete, the facility must allow the ESC to market the facility for future events and work closely with facility operators. Further recognition will be mutually agreed-upon following acceptance of the application.
- Any requests for equipment should directly lead to increased sports tourism for Erie County.
Applications will be accepted July 7 through September 3, 2021. Applicants must complete the form below in its entirety in order to be considered. The Erie Sports Commission will contact grantees following a review of applications after the September 3 deadline.