Pennsylvania’s only Great Lakes port is in Erie! Known for its sandy beaches and waterfront locale, Erie boasts spectacular natural beauty and city amenities, including modern venues ready to host sporting events of many sizes.
Even winter weather does not hinder Erie’s capability of hosting a wide range of sporting events. Quality venues like the Erie Insurance Arena, Bayfront Convention Center, ErieBank Sports Park (formerly Family First Sports Park), Presque Isle State Park, and four universities with NCAA DI, DII and DIII programs allow for both indoor and outdoor activities all year round. While events in such sports as soccer, running, basketball, wrestling, gymnastics and fishing have been most noteworthy, the Erie Sports Commission (ESC) is prepared to assist in promoting, supporting, and maximizing the potential of all kinds of sporting events and competitions! The two-time National Sports Commission of the Year winning ESC offers a variety of support services that set our city apart, and make hosting an event in Erie easy.
Erie is accessible from many major cities, and with more than 4,500 hotel rooms, you’ll always have a comfortable place to stay. We’re less than a 90-minute drive from Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and Buffalo, and a three hour drive from Toronto. Erie’s vibrant cultural scene and unique dining establishments will complete a great experience for any group when the competition is over! Erie is a city on the rise. Check out some of its most recent designations!
- 50 Best New Fishing Spots in America - Lake Erie, Pennsylvania (Field & Stream, 2018)
- Favorite Small Market Destination - Erie, PA (Sports Destination Management, 2018)
- Top Pennsylvania Attraction - Presque Isle State Park (USA Today Reader's Choice Poll, 2017)
- Best Freshwater Beach in the Country - Presque Isle State Park (USA Today Reader's Choice Poll, 2016)
- Readers' Choice Award - Erie Sports Commission (SportsEvents Magazine, 2015)
- #28 on Top 100 Bass Fishing Lakes - Presque Isle Bay (Bassmaster, 2014)
- Best Destination for Natural Venues - Erie, PA (SportsEvents Magazine, 2014)
Check out VisitErie.com to see all the unique amenities that Erie, PA has to offer.
Erie has great sports facilities, plentiful and quality housing options, experienced sports leaders, and many sponsorship options. We also boast of a great base of support for your sporting event, whether you are seeking fans, participants, or volunteers! Erie has hosted many great sporting events at the local, regional, state, and national levels, including the 2014 NCAA Women’s Division II Basketball Elite 8, 2013 B.A.S.S. Masters Mid-Atlantic Divisional, 2011 Women’s Division I Frozen Four, 2014 PA State Bowling Championships, PA Junior Wrestling Championships, and more.